Friday, February 04, 2011

Poetry Surprise, featuring Sylvia Plath!

Remember the whole poetry surprise idea? Did you think I'd forgotten? I haven't at all! In fact, I'm going to blast you with awesome poetry right now.

If you guess why I've chosen this poem, then I might just have to give you a cookie. Well. A metaphorical cookie. But metaphorical ones are definitely the best sort.

Metaphors

I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.

- Sylvia Plath

2 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Did you see O Magazine is soliciting poetry through 2/11 for a special issue? They'll look at original entries, or you can nominate a favorite poem for inclusion. Link on my blog if you're interested in checking it out.

Leila Austin said...

I'll have to look into that!