Thursday, January 28, 2010

Road Trip Wednesday: Our Favourite Book Covers

New Zealand is kind of an unusual place for book covers. Ours come from three different markets: Australia, the UK, and the US. Or four, if you include covers designed locally for NZ books. With an internationally published book, we usually get whatever Australia goes with. If there's a cover especially for Australia, we almost always end up with that. If there isn't, it almost seems to be a fifty-fifty thing, whether we get the US one or the UK one. Probably vaguely swinging towards the UK. Our Harry Potters have the English covers, rather than the US ones. However, Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is out here with the US cover.

So my favourite covers have always come from all over the place. For me, the best covers are the ones that drop a few mysterious and wonderful hints, rather than the ones that are trying to tell as much about the book as possible. Actually, I believe in 'show, don't tell' with book covers a bit more than I do with writing. (There's a whole other post in that, actually. Which I'm not going to write now. Remind me sometime, ok?)

Part of the reason I own most of Sarah Dessen's books is because for me they're the reading equivalent of high quality chocolate. When I'm depressed and need cheering up, when I'm unwell, when I'm longing for something familiar, I go back to her books over and over. They make me happy. But the other reason why I own them is because I love the UK covers so much. Deeply, deeply love them. I love the overall look, how they're a bit sixties in the best way possible, I love their colour scheme, I love how the artist has taken little details from in the books and incorporated them. Love love love. It's impossible not to buy books when their covers are this beautiful.



I also love covers when they're moody and dramatic. You know, like a thunderstorm in the middle of winter.


 

 And also, whimsical covers are awesomeness. I really need to read this one, actually.


Find out about more beautiful covers at YA highway!



ETA: I forgot to mention my favourite NZ cover! It's a wonderful book too.

10 comments:

Kate Hart said...

Those Dessen covers are wonderful.

Kaitlin Ward said...

The cover of Fallen really makes me want to read it.

Horserider said...

Wow. The Dessen covers are NOTHING like what we have over here...

Kirsten Hubbard said...

I've seen those Sarah Dessen covers -- so funky and retro!

Michelle Schusterman said...

Ditto on the Dessen covers - I prefer them to ours!

Kristin Miller said...

Love the Dessen covers. So beautiful and colorful!

Leila Austin said...

I love the cover of Fallen, although I kind of have mixed feelings about the book itself. I loved the setting though, and the cover very much suits the brooding, gothic vibe perfectly.

What's funny is that you can buy Sarah Dessen's novels with the US covers here, from places like Borders. The US covers are fine, but the UK covers are just. so. damn. pretty. I bought Lock and Key with the US cover because I hadn't come across the UK one and I was feeling impatient. But since then, the UK one has come out, and I'm probably going to end up buying it twice, just so I can have the extra pretty one. #sensiblereasonsforbookpurchasingfail

Anna said...

I think Sprout is my favourite!

Anna said...

Nice new look!!! I like it...

Leila Austin said...

Thank you! I thought it was about time I made things a bit prettier round here :-)