Monday, January 18, 2010

A few odd things

- Yesterday we went to see Avatar in 3d. I've never seen anything feature length in 3d before. Today when I blink I keep seeing those blue creatures. It's a bit distracting.

- Last night we were watching a documentary, one of those documentaries which make you feel like a grown-up. It was about economic growth and its effect on cities and countries, and how it can happen unevenly and leave people poor if they come from the wrong place. Basically. Somewhere quite near the end, my cat Cali leapt on top of the tv and sat there, staring at us. Then she started licking her leg. She was extremely matter of fact about the whole thing. Like, yeah, I'm on top of a tv. What's your problem? As she leapt down her paw hit the volume, and suddenly we were hearing about economic growth very loudly.

- In the early hours of the morning, I had a dream about being in England with my family, and staying in the same house as one of the members of the Sex Pistols. He was very nice. We all chatted a bit, and then my siblings and I went out to Cafe Cezanne because we figured that he was a rock star and he wouldn't really want to hang with us. (Cafe Cezanne was somehow in England, but it all seemed very logical at the time.) But next thing, we were sitting in the cafe and we saw him walking past, then he saw us, smiled, and wandered over to sit down with us. And I realised, hey, we're friends with a rockstar. I have to text Amber and tell her. They were reuniting with a new lead singer, and they had a new album coming out, and later on he gave us a preview of some of the tracks. They were indie and melodious and full of unusual instruments. None of it sounded anything like the Sex Pistols, but I didn't say anything, because I was being polite.

- I wrote a blog post about my work at the bookshop for YA Highway, my first highway post for the year. There are going to be many more. I've filled up a whole incredibly crammed notebook page with ideas for posts. There are so many that some of them are at the side, in little tiny letters, which is kind of a note-taking quirk that I have. I probably should have gone on to a new page, but there is something about little tiny half-readable notes and my brain that I can't even begin to understand. Anyway, what I actually meant to say was, I will be blogging more, and about interesting things. Or things that seemed interesting when they were in little tiny notes. So yeah. Keep an eye out.

5 comments:

Emilia Joyce Plater said...

Avatar was amazing, wasn't it? & Your cat sounds adorable, haha!

Amanda Hannah said...

LOL your cat sounds full of personality (and evidently very interested in economic growth!)

I so want to see Avatar!

Anna said...

I LOVE that dream!!!

My daughter went to see Avatar in 3-D and ended up with migraine issues. We're not sure WHY, but she did said it was a really good film!

And your cat is hilarious!! A very conscious kitty, perhaps?

Leila Austin said...

A very conscious kitty indeed. She sometimes has a slightly worried expression, and I like to think that's because she's pondering the problems of the world.

I took a photo of her on top of the tv. I might post it at some point. I'm one of those people who shamelessly photographs their pets.

And definitely see Avatar, because yeah. It's absolutely stunning. It took me a while to be able to handle the 3D factor, it initially made my eyes feel achy. Once I was used to it I was fine. I've suspected for a while that I have mild astigmatism so I'm blaming that.

Kirsten Hubbard said...

I adored avatar. even with questionable lines like "I'm a scientist! I don't believe in fairy tales."