Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Road Trip Wednesday: what do I do when I'm not writing?

Um.

If I'm not writing, I'm probably curled up on the couch with a book and at least one cat. Or I am curled up on the couch with my laptop, engaging in my Epic Struggle To Keep Up With The Internet. There are so many people I love, so many well written things, so many laughs to be had. And I'm never quite on top of it all, no matter how hard I try. It is a lifelong saga. And as I am following the internet and marvelling at internet things, both my cats usually arrive and walk all over my legs and meow at me because I didn't feed them enough the first time this evening and they want to be fed again.

And, dammit, this is all making me sound very boring. I kind of have a sinking suspicion that my main interesting thing is the writing thing.

So yeah. I like cooking. I am very much the No Recipe Let's Just Wing it With Random Things From the Pantry school of cooking. Also, when no one else is in the room, I love singing. I love singing so much that I eventually want to get lessons, if I can track down a teacher. I like wandering around taking photos, especially of random suburbia, and I'll happily do that almost anywhere if the light is good enough. The whole thing is very amateurish though. If I manage to take a good photo, it is probably luck and then photoshop.

Um um um.

Oh! I sometimes go to political things. This evening I listened to a talk from Phil Goff, leader of the NZ Labour Party. And I sometimes join in with Josh's transport campaigning, because Auckland needs transport that does not involve people driving everywhere all the time.

You know that advice people give writers? Where they tell them to live wild and interesting lives and do lots of exciting things so they can be good writers with lots to write about? I'm kind of hoping that advice is wrong. Writing is my exciting thing. And the rest of my life is mostly just me procrastinating writing.

One day, I will work out how to surgically attach more hours to the day. Then I will have proper hobbies.

7 comments:

Kaitlin Ward said...

I don't think you need to do lots of random interesting things to be a good writer. You are interesting as is!

Anna said...

I loved this! My life is really not all that exciting (although I too love cooking and singing!). Maybe we're taking things sort of leisurely because to do anything else would stifle the creative urge...

Sure. That's it. :)))

Kirsten Hubbard said...

when you master that surgical attachment thing, please PLEASE give me a call.

my plan is to someday thrive on just two hours of sleep a night!

Amanda Hannah said...

You don't sound boring! Singing and non-recipe cooking sound fun if you ask me :)

Kristin Miller said...

We should be best friends. We're so much alike. And you're not boring (cause then I would be, too, and I'm NOT!).

Leila Austin said...

Yes! Must not stifle creative urge! I like this excuse. I am going to use it about housework as well.

I was just thinking that if I could actually surgically attach more hours to the day, what I would probably spend them doing is... writing. Yeah. And maybe also napping.

Napping is totally a hobby.

Michelle Schusterman said...

No Recipe Cooking is the way to go. You'll have to share some of your food creations sometime!